Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Time....


Summer time.

I love summer.  I have especially looked forward to this summer.  We are not moving. We are not in the middle of some base exercise. We are not committed to anything other than having a fun summer.

The slip-n-slide, double wide, is well broken in. The ice shaver is running and shaving mountains of ice.  The basement awaits, nice and cool, with snugly blankets and movies to watch while we cool off.  

Plans for library visits, piano lessons, day trips to the beach, lunch with daddy, sleeping in late, and weekends made for relaxing.. that will be our summer.  

This year has been a long year and a short year.  Is that possible?  Third grade was full of testing.  Test, test, and another test.  By the time they did their SOL (standard of learning) exams - everyone was ready for school to be over.  The girls finished up wonderfully.  We are very proud.  I wont brag here about them, that's what the family blog is for.  I will say, they both achieved their goals and far exceeded mine.

Imagine their surprise when I announced that they will continue with reading everyday.  Not so bad right? Now imagine their surprise when I told them they had to write about what they read. HA!  I'm not asking for a 10 page review.  Just a paragraph telling about the story - what they liked, what character they liked... that kind of thing.  

They both grumbled - D1 cried - but when it comes down to it - I can set the timer for 30 minutes and at the end they ask if they can keep going... So, I'm not all that mean I guess.  

I am looking forward to discovering the library and a used book store my friend has raved about.  Taking day trips and taking fun photos.  Afternoons of playing barbies, painting, dancing around, bike rides, wii competitions, steamed crabs and barbeque.  I look forward to a great summer, one day at a time. Relishing in the little things and smiling all the way.

1 comment:

  1. found you!! Now, you've got the right idea about summer!!! Love it

    ReplyDelete