Thursday, July 8, 2010

Word of the day

Brilliant.

shining brightly; sparkling; glittering; 
distinguished; illustrious; 
having or showing great intelligence, talent, quality;
splendid or magnificent

I just got off the phone with a friend who is working on a paper.  She is an amazing woman, as most of my friends are, and a person that I admire.  I told her to "be brilliant".  I thought to myself, brilliant... hmm.  There is a great word.

Putting sarcastic tones aside, just say that word aloud. Brilliant. You have to move your mouth. Your tongue must move, your lips must touch, and you should articulate and not mumble.  Do all these things and something happens.  Go ahead... try it a few times.  Aloud.  Brilliant.  Brilliant.  Now say "Be Brilliant!"  Did you notice anything?

Compare to the word 'good'.

Say "I am good".  Then say "I am brilliant".  If you were honest with yourself I think you would see that the word Brilliant is a fabulous word!  (fabulous being one of my personal favorite words).

The word Brilliant can be a fun word to say.  You can roll your r's.  You can shake your head side to side.  You can exclaim.  You could even do all three things at once and I bet you will have a smile on your face.

Go ahead - try it.

Just have some fun with the word today.  Use it whenever possible.  "that lemonade was brilliant", ""your outfit is brilliant", "my friend Jen is brilliant".  Okay, I know I said no sarcasm.

Let me know what you think - how did you use the word today?

I wish for you all to have a BRILLIANT day!!

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant post by my brilliantly contemplative and articulate Sweetheart!

    - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I have to laugh. I noticed that you used the word brilliant with me, and as it's one of my favorite words as well, I kept it in my head all day.

    You are so right, too. Brilliant is such a much better word than good, not just because it sounds more intelligent, but it IS fun to say!! I'm saying it now. In Paneras. While struggling with my brilliant essay. :) And I don't even care who's looking at me.

    (Which is no one... they are all looking at the 4 year old who is singing Jesus Loves the Little children at the top of her lungs as her Dad talks on the phone.)

    ReplyDelete