Friday, September 17, 2010

Making Sense of the Senseless

Written the afternoon of 16 Sept.

Today my daughter will learn that her teacher died this morning from cancer.  Apparently things were going well until a few weeks ago when it was discovered that the cancer had spread to the bones and was very aggressive.  A long term substitute was hired to start off the school year who would partner with the teacher.

Today that all changes.  Today D1 has no teacher.  I am not exactly sure how she will take the news.  There is no parent problem solving handbook that says "when ___ happens then promptly do ___".  I decided that I would go ahead and come to the school and be here to hear what the administration said and IF D1 needed me, I would be here for her.  I am thankful that D1 didn't yet form that special bond with the teacher.  Only because I think that will make things easier in the process of getting a new teacher.  But is loss on any level ever easy?

Encourage, Listen, & Love.  Yes, that's my job.  I think that best defines the role of any parent.  Isn't that what it all boils down to?  We encourage our children in any situation, both good and bad.  We listen.  We listen to the thoughts, feelings, plans, and dreams.  And it goes without saying that we love.  We love with an insurmountable love.  We do it because that is what we are called to do.  What we are commanded to do.  Love.  By loving, we then teach others to love.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Jen, you are right. Love is the greatest gift we can give to God, our children and to others.

    "Jesus answered him, 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:29-31.

    ReplyDelete