Friday, September 17, 2010

A Mother's Dream

Every year our biggest adjustment seems to be with D2.  Things that we have come to learn are just part of the ADHD world.

Last year was tough.  We really felt like D2 had fallen through the cracks.  I was seemingly always at school advocating on her behalf.  Trying to identify ways to help her become more successful.  The feeling that my child didn't matter was overwhelming.  Because she came from a two parent home, spoke english, and was white, it appeared that she was a low priority and as long as she was meeting the minimum, that was fine.  We dealt with bulling that resulted in bruises, being spit on, and called names.  Improper assessment testing and no one taking the time to review her file from her previous school that showed that she was an advanced learner.

We made it through.  I was "that" mom and pushed back when my daughter was pushed aside.  I learned that if you don't advocate for your child - who will?

THIS YEAR!!!!

This year is going to be different.  Maybe Husband is giving me optimism injections while I sleep, but this year I expect great things.  Her teacher is amazing.  He has addressed our concerns, and filled us with hope.  He not only recognized her strengths, but could also see her insecurities.  He wants to work as a team to help D2 develop those  social cues, to apply her coping skills with her personal space issues, and building relationships.

He told me she was smart, he liked having her in class.  For the first time in a long time, I felt relieved.  I believed that she was going to be okay.  THIS year is going to be different.  THIS year she will become empowered to achieve greatness.

I am excited for D2's journey through 3rd grade.  For the growth she is about to experience academically, physically, and socially.

There are no limits to her greatness and I am thrilled she has a teacher who is in her corner this year!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear this Jen. I know how frustrated you were before. It sounds like it maybe the beginning of an easier road for her and you.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so happy for you and for her!!! Look forward to hearing all about the exciting things in store for her this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad for both of you! It absolutely will be the best year!!

    Can you maybe have Mark send over some of those optimism infusions? I could use one or two myself... :)

    ReplyDelete