Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the first decade

Today D1 is turning 10.
The BIG 1-0. 
The "first Decade down" is what she said today as she was scarfing down her lucky charms.

I watched her carefully plan out what she was wearing, how she was wearing it, and the hair that had to be just so to go with the just so outfit.  

10

Where did those 10 years go?  Seems like just a few days ago Husband and I were counting contractions, speaking our best medical Italian, and waiting an eternity for her arrival.  

Husband and I were stationed at Ghedi Air Base in Northern Italy.  It was a beautiful area and since we were stationed at an Italian base, we lived completely on the economy.  No base doctors and hospitals for us.  Our OB/GYN was Italian and we were told she spoke great English.  Hmmm.  Great english compared to someone who didn't know any English... maybe.  When we left her office, I wasn't sure I knew English.  My Italian did improve rather quickly though.  

D1 came into the world healthy, beautiful, and with a head full of curly hair.  She was perfect.  She arrived without any birthing classes, practiced breathing, birth plans, parents around us, and all the things we as Americans obsess about.  The plan was - "the baby come out".  I had to trust.  I had to have faith that I was right where God wanted us to be, right where he wanted D1 to be born.  His timing was perfect.  My mom and Husbands parents had plans to arrive soon after her birth, so I knew extra hands and love were on the way.  

Unlike America, a natural birth allows you to remain in the hospital for a week!!  We were so blessed to have the sterile hospital, nurses on hand to help with nursing, and nothing to worry about but the three of us.  I especially liked the hot tea served every day at 3pm.  Yum. 

I couldn't stop staring at this beautiful lil baby.  So precious, so innocent, untainted from the world and all it pollutes our lives with.  I wanted to retreat to a place where there was no one else but the three of us.  

I still watch her sleep.  She is still my little girl.  All snuggled up with her Felicity doll, her Lamb, and her blankie.  Her sweet cheeks that she inherited from Husband's family, her pursed lips, and her long curly locks of hair.  I fall more in love with her every time I stop and stare.  

She is brilliant.  Straight A's.  Gifted.  Talented.  A wonderful singer, pianist, artist, friend.  She has so much going for her.  I pray that her life continues to go well.  That she will see her options are unlimited.  She can do anything that she sets her mind to do.  I pray that life affords her every opportunity to explore and discover what her purpose is.  I find her to be amazing.  

The first 10 years have gone by so fast.  She has grown from my baby to my young lady.  
The second 10 years I hope slow down.  I want to enjoy my young lady and be sure the transition to a young woman is a smooth one.

I am always amazed how much I love her. The ability to love her with every ounce of myself.  A love so deep and powerful, that no one could ever EVER break that bond.  A love so strong that I tear up just thinking about it.

Happy Birthday my angel.  



2 comments:

  1. Just wow. What an incredible love letter to her.

    It's scary how fast the years fly. The days sometimes drag, but the years.... where do they go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, that is an absolutely beautiful tribute to your beautiful little girl. Brought tears to my eyes! You must make sure that she gets to read this one day.

    ReplyDelete