Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why I like Starbucks...

or any coffee place....

The atmosphere is wonderful.  Most of the time.

You see all sorts of different types of people.  Moms in need of caffeine, business people talking shop, writers pouring their souls into their next big book.  People like me, looking for a few moments of solace, to read, relax and sometimes gain perspective.  I use these moments no matter how few, to look over email, read, catch up on blogs, and write.

While we were in Germany I fell in love with the coffee place on base - Khul Beans.  It was great.  It was like the show Cheers.  The Baristas were the same, they knew your name, your beverage of choice, and when you were looking for something new to try, they never let you down.  You could kick back in a comfy chair between meetings and relax.  You would certainly see someone you knew that would pull up a chair and visit for a few.  I loved it there.  SO much that my farewell inscription made reference to my "Khul Beans Office".

When we returned to the states, I was thankful to have a Starbucks a mile from my house.  It smells great in here and although the population is vastly different here, I still know a few faces, and enjoy the people watching.  It's relaxing, and I like that after I drop the girls off at school and have an hour before I need to be back at school, I can slip in, grab a cup of Joe and take time to breathe.

Coffee houses everywhere seem to break down barriers between strangers.  Everyone there has a common interest.  Everyone will say hello and share a smile.  People use their manners at the fixin bar, and the Barista is often friendly.  It always smells fabulous - just the smell alone is relaxing.  Think they could make a soy candle that smelled like Starbucks?

Husband and I often talk of how great it would be to have a coffee house of our own.  Just a no name place in a town just big enough to support business.  When we travel to St. Michaels Maryland, we always make sure we have time to stop in the St. Michaels Perk.  It's a great spot to grab a coffee, visit or read a book.  We have become rather spoiled, because we get so used to the wonderful flavors here that coffee at home can often be boring.  Coffee with friends though - is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree!!

    So much so that this latest book has a main character that owns a coffee shop. What good is being a writer if you can't live vicariously through your characters, right? :)

    ReplyDelete