Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting ripped off by nosebleeds


Autism is a tricky thing. You go through your day and don't think much about autism until something that makes no logical sense happens and you think "what in the world.." and then you do a head smack and remember - ah THAT's Autism.

Just yesterday D2 pointed out that her legs were becoming rather hairy. She has been asking for some time to shave. After all, her sister has been shaving her legs and so she should be able to shave as well, right?

So, we sat on the side of the tub, I explained about getting her legs wet and then lathering up with the cream. Who would have thought about the sensory implications of shaving? Not me. Not at first. I was quickly reminded as her voice quivered and she began to fidget. Inside I was thinking wow, this is just with the cream, this is only going to get worse.

Then came the razor. She did okay - after we got over the 'tickle', no the 'pain', no guess it isn't pain, it's 'pressure'.

It was the longest I have ever labored over shaving. EVER! I think it could have been transformed into a short story - "Shaving with Autism". I can not wait till we start shaving armpits. (much sarcasm)

After our shaving fun, this conversation ennsued, reminding me once again that D2 was a child with autism.

D2: "did the people that worked in the World Trade Center get nosebleeds often?"

me: "I don't understand what your getting to"

D2: "Well, the high seats in the football stadium are called 'nose bleed seats' cause they are so high. The World Trade Center was even higher...so did those people get nose bleeds?"

me: "'Nose bleed seats' are only an expression - you don't actually GET a nose bleed"

D2: "I HATE expressions!!".....(thoughtful looks) "SO, just because you sit in a 'nosebleed' section, that doesn't mean you get a nosebleed?"

me: "no, not a guarantee"

D2: "What a ripoff!!!"

After watching clips from the Temple Grandin movie, D2 has started a journal. "me and autism" She wrote later that night, "Apparently when you sit in the nosebleed section, you don't really get a nosebleed. I feel kind of ripped of about this."

Ah the life of being literal.

No comments:

Post a Comment