Friday, April 16, 2010

Bee Still...

Bee still.

Still
~not moving or making a sound~
~calm and tranquil~

I like that last definition.  As the mother of a child with ADHD, those words are sometimes a desperate plea.  Please just be still.  I think most mothers would agree that they would just like to have a moment to be still.  Some think that when your children go to school - moms have it easier.  I used to.  When my girls were little - I couldn't wait for the day they were both in school, so I could be still.  HA! When I am home the laundry, dishes, dinner, projects, dust, grocery store, and unmade beds are all calling out for me.  Let's not even bring up the military here - just to keep things simple.

Come 3pm my angels burst off the bus, walk into my picked up house (notice I didn't say clean) and their book bags vomit all over the foyer, and kitchen.  Mom sign this, Mom sign that, I need this, you forgot to sign here, I have to do this by tomorrow, can you bake that by friday, mom, mom, mom!!!  Whatever I was doing - must come to a close.  I now have switched from house wife to mom on a mission.  I love it.  I wouldn't change a thing.

But instead of looking like the bee above - confidant, full of purpose and firmly footed... I sometimes feel like this guy...


Hanging on for dear life!  Wings flapping like mad, working as fast as I can with no time to land - touch this hear, touch that there.... trying to be the best I can be.  The kind of mother who's children don't need therapy when they grow up.  The kind of wife who's husband wants to be at home.  Have the house that when unexpected guests show up - they are not barricaded at the door.

Last night the husband and I went to see the movie Date Night.  AT one point in the movie Tina Fey's character says her fantasy isn't about a dream vacation spot - not about a fancy night out - but to be ALONE.  In a hotel room ALONE, eating her favorite food ALONE.  You instantly could tell who were the moms in the theater.  

Today I am going to try to just bee.  The kids are with the grandparents.  The Husband and I are home alone.  While he is working on some things - I may work on my craft room.  I may sit outside. Whatever I do - my goal for today is to just bee still.  


3 comments:

  1. That is my goal next weekend. Even though I will be in a room with thousands of women, I'm going to be alone with my Savior. I'm sure we will dance a little, we will talk and I will let him hold me tight and tell me be still and know. Thanks for the beautiful words!!!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you will be down a house guest when it is all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great analogy... and such a lovely post every mom can relate to.

    Addy tried to give me all her papers today when I was washing dishes. Like the water wasn't going to ruin them or something. Ian talks way after when I turn the lights off. I walk down the stairs yelling up to him, "I'm walking out the door, I'm leaving, I'm going downstairs, I can't hear you anymore. Good night!"

    Being still in spirit is even harder than physical calm. When I look around the house and there is so much to do, it's hard to relax even when I'm relaxing. I'm never still in spirit because there is always laundry and dishes and dust. I need to work on that. (The stillness...not the household stuff, although i suppose that too...)

    Anyway...so well written. And gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete