Thursday, April 22, 2010

Where is this going....

The family took a walk this weekend on a trail in our neighborhood.  It was a nice time.  Seeing the girls look under rocks and inside trees.  I  think D2 said she was looking for a hidden immunity idol.  I wondered what she would need immunity from, but she likes to keep me guessing.  They had fun looking at all the different trees, streams, bugs, and crossing streams on trees that had fallen down.

I was enjoying the giggles.  Don't let me mislead you.  There was a fair share of drama.  D2 had a 6 foot walking stick that could NOT stay vertical and eventually grazed my face.  I held it together. Well, other than when I launched it into the woods.  Overall the trip was a nice one.

I am a sucker for symbolism.  There is a tree on the B50 just around Meterich - in Germany - that I will never forgive myself for not getting a picture.  It sat all alone in a field. From afar it was a beautiful, perfectly shaped tree.  Up close you see that that perfect tree is actually 2 trees close together.  Between the trunks is a beautiful stone cross.  That STONE cross was at the base of this tree.  These trees. Two separate trees - had a firm foundation and grew into a beautiful, united tree.  So strong that the wind and weather of standing alone - could not destroy that tree.  Ah.  You see where I am going with this?

Marriages are falling apart all around us.  Some by adultery, some because they are young and being stupid, selfishness, and then there are some that just don't seem to have good reason.  There are couples that you look at and wonder how they stay married.  Then there are some that you look at and think - they have it together.  Those couples, those that seem to have it together, those are the marriages that are so hard to see come to an end.  Those people that share your values - that know that marriage is not to be taken lightly.  A covenant that is made with God.  Those are the ones that are hard to see fall.

Those trees in Germany had grown around that cross.  Remove it and you have a void that will not be filled by anything as substantial.

This picture I took of the path we were traveling - made me think - where are we going?  I am a person who has to know the who, what, when, why, and how.  I have a calendar - and I believe it was made for use.  I like to schedule as much as I can.  I started wondering - what path am I on.  There are things popping up in my life.  With health, kids, and husband.  Things that I just have no idea or control over.  It can be a scary path.  But do you see the light peering though?  I am commanded to think on things I KNOW to be true.  I know that my man loves me - I know my marriage is true.  I know that I have friends that love me and will be there to cry and laugh with me, even from afar.  I know that my children are healthy.  They know they are loved.  And for everyone else they are well behaved.  Together - with our firm foundation, we will make it through.  We will cry and kick along the way - but the light shines through along our path - reminding us to keep our chins up.  That we are loved, and that there is light at the end of our paths.  So, today, in the craziness - I am going to look up.  I am going to stop and remember to breathe, and think on what is True.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. Wonderful analogy. You'll have to get back to Germany to get a picture of the tree(s) someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Jen, just beautiful. So well written and the truth so well spoken. I'd love to see a picture of those trees too someday...

    ReplyDelete