Sunday, November 15, 2009

Family... Check

Well - I made it through the day.

What I like about my family is that as much as they are Springer material - it's not by their verbals - because that would open them up for rebuttal - but their NON-verbals. The looks, the stares - the total and complete judgement, with out one word.

Today was fine. It was actually nice to see some relatives that I had not seen in years. Others - not so nice. ;-)  I loved hearing over and over how glad people were that we were back in the Sates and that we were close enough to be a apart of family things like this.  However - imagine the question mark above my head when we turned the tables and invited people to come see us (since we were so close and all) and their response was "oh - it's just so far of a drive" or "that traffic is so much..." or "I don't really ever go to Virginia".

My mom is the best though. She wins the Oscar every time.  Poor thing, never sees her grandchildren.  She has my family convinced that we don't let her.  She complains - for 13 years now- about how far away we live.  When we lived in southern VA a few years back - we were 3.5 hours away.  Still too far.  In the 3 years we were there - she came 3 times.  Anywho... She thanks us over and over about making the trip to come up there.  She kept asking about the house - I suggested she come see it - but - no can do.  "it's so far... Oh the traffic... Gas is so expensive..."  Most of the family is that way.  My favorite line... "you're all the way in VIRGINIA!!!!"  (family is in Baltimore) She even said, just last week, that she wished we could be closer so she could be involved with the girls.  I did kinda loose it and mention that even if we lived right next door - the puddle between our driveways would prove to be too much for her cross.

It's never close enough.  I wish I could understand why they can't come here but complain that I don't come there enough.  In the 4 months that we have been back in the states - we have been there 5 times.  Hmmmm.  Even more - I wish I could understand why it hacks me off so much.  I think I just need to be the bitch they think I am and say "ya know what?  Since you have not given ANY effort to knowing your grandchildren in the last 5 years, no phone calls, no visits, no emails, not even a birthday card... we are done.  You know where we live, you know our phone number (because you dial it to complain that I have not called you in a while) so - let us know when you want to be a grandmother."

I am certain it will come up in the next 6 months or so.

Highlights of the day:
-Mom hands me a plastic bag and says - there is a longaberger basket in there for you - that's your Christmas gift.  (Christmas for the kid...check)
-Mom - seeing my new glasses asks if I was trying to look like Sarah Palin. WTH?!?!
-My youngest says - "wow this is like a family reunion and no one even died!"
- Granny announces that since we are all together - she is paying for our lunches and that is her Christmas gift to everyone. Huh? (Christmas for the family....check)
- Mom, again, making My youngest seem weak and pitied for being ADHD and taking meds.  WTH!?!?!?
- MOM - when we gave her the school pictures she says "wow - they look just like the girls!" uh, who else would they look like?

The day is over - back to my life WAY over here in VA - through all the traffic.
My glass of German wine is making me feel happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment